Article I : Purpose
- The aim of GALAIC is to represent a student body that has a preeminent presence in current debates within Latin American and Iberian cultural studies and that brings together a intellectually motivated group of graduates.
Article II : Membership
- Any member of the Columbia community is eligible to become a member of this organization. In any given academic term, one is considered a member of this organization if she has attended at least one club activity and one meeting in the preceding or current term.
- The membership of this organization contains 5 Columbia GSAS students.
- In compliance with Columbia ‘s Nondiscrimination Statement, this organization shall not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, or sexual orientation.
Article III : Officers
- This organization will have five officers: President, Secretary, Social Chair, GSAC Representers.
- The President shall be the official representative of the group to any other organization and to Columbia. The President will preside over all meetings.
- The Secretary is responsible for determining when meetings are and publicizing this to the group.
- The Social Chair shall be responsible for the finances of the group.
- GSAC Representer shall be attending any GSAC meeting and is the ambassador of GALAIC.
- All officers of this organization must be distinct persons and Columbia students.
- Elections of officers shall occur once a year, by the end of Spring semester.
- Any member is elected if he or she wins a majority of the voting members.
- If more than two people are running and no one wins a majority, then the person with the fewest votes is dropped from the ballot and votes are recast.
- The term of office runs from September 2014’ until August 2015’.
Article IV : Meetings
- Meetings shall be held at least every two months.
- Meetings shall be presided over by the president, unless she is absent, and in that case the secretary shall preside.
- All decisions shall be made by a majority vote of all members present.
- Quorum for a meeting shall be 75% of the membership.
Article V : Amendments
- Amendments shall be presented by any member of the organization.
- Amendments shall be passed by a 75% voted of the members present.
- Quorum for amending this constitution shall be 100% of all members of the organization.
Article VI : GSAC Governance Clause
- GALAIC agrees to abide by the rules and regulations of the Association of Student Activities, and its executive board. This constitution, amendments to it, and the by-laws of this organization shall be subject to review by the GSAC Steering Committee to insure that they are in accordance with the aforementioned rules and regulations.
Last Updated 3 years ago