Candidates for admission to the Ph.D. program should have a superior undergraduate and postgraduate record (if applicable), strong letters of recommendation, fluency in Spanish or Portuguese, and exceptional writing skills. The online application must be submitted to the Columbia Graduate School of Arts and Sciences no later than December 15, 2016 and its required components are:
- Copies of all undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation from academic recommenders
- A personal statement about intellectual interests
- A writing sample, preferably in Spanish or Portuguese (10-15 double-spaced pages in length or approximately 3,000 – 4,500 words; see the Frequently Asked Questions page for more information about the writing sample)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores from all international students who are not native speakers of English (unless they have received an undergraduate degree at a U.S. college or university). Applicants should arrange to take the test by a date that guarantees that scores will be forwarded to Columbia University by the application deadline or soon thereafter. Visit the TOEFL site for questions about the test.
See also the department’s page on Frequently Asked Questions about graduate admissions.
Last Updated 4 years ago