Language Placement Examination
There is no placement examination for Catalan. Students with prior knowledge of Catalan (secondary school, living abroad, near-native or native speakers) should register in the most suitable level and consult Elsa Úbeda ([email protected]) regarding placement.
All students new to the Portuguese Language Program at Columbia are required to take the Department’s Placement Examination before registering for a course, or provide proof of exemption.
The Placement Examination in Portuguese consists of two parts: one written and one oral. The written part tests knowledge of grammar, reading comprehension, and writing composition. The written exam is followed by an interview that tests oral comprehension. It is offered in the fall and spring semesters at Casa Hispánica during the first week of classes (Fall 2023: Tuesday, September 5th @ 6:00pm). Please make an appointment with João Nemi Neto ([email protected]) to take this exam.
Should you have any questions about your placement, please contact the Director of the Portuguese Language program José Antonio Castellanos-Pazos ([email protected]).
Welcome to the Spanish Language Program. We look forward to having you in our courses!
All students new to our Spanish Language Program at Columbia are required either to take one of our two departmental placement examinations before registering for a course, or before placing your name on a waiting list, or you must provide proof of exemption through one of the exams listed here. If you are not exempt by those exams, you are required to take one of the following departmental placement exams.
If you have been exposed to Spanish to some (even to a very small) extent at home or in your community from an early age, please click here to take the Spanish as a Heritage Language Placement Exam, using your Columbia email address.
- For information about the content of the Spanish as a Heritage Language Placement Exam, please click here.
All other Columbia undergraduate students, please click here to take the Spanish as a Second Language Placement Exam, using your Columbia email address.
- For information about the content of the Spanish as a Second Language Placement Exam, please click here.
Students in the School of International and Public Affairs' (SIPA) students, please click here for additional information.
Placement Exam Policies and Registration Policies
- You may take a placement exam only once per academic year.
- The exam must represent your own work. When taking an exam you will be bound by Columbia University's Code of Academic Integrity, and you must refrain from any activity constitutive of academic dishonesty as defined therein.
- Once you begin the exam, you should not pause the exam until you have completed it.
- You must provide your instructor with your placement exam score on the first day of classes.
- Once you receive the placement exam score, register in the designated course during the New Student Orientation Program (NSOP) or during the Change of Program (Add/Drop) period.
- Under no circumstances may you register for either a level-lower course or a higher-level course, without the explicit permission of the Director of the Spanish Language Program, Dr. Lee B. Abraham.
- The Spanish as a Second Language Placement Examination and the Spanish as a Heritage Language Placement Examination are for diagnostic purposes only. These exams may be supplemented by your instructor’s evaluation during the first or second week of classes, at which time your instructor may recommend a change in registration.
Should you have any questions about your placement or registration, please contact the Director of the Spanish Language Program, Dr. Lee B. Abraham.
We look forward to having you in our courses!