Graduate Student Association of the Department of Latin American and Iberian Cultures
Constitution Of The Graduate Association Of The Department Of Latin American And Iberian Culture
These are the general guidelines for the management and administration of GALAIC as a student body that represents the graduate students of the Latin American and Iberian Cultures department at Columbia University.
Article I : Purpose
- The aim of GALAIC is to represent a student body that has a preeminent presence in current debates within Latin American and Iberian cultural studies and that brings together a intellectually motivated group of graduates.
Article II : Membership
- Any member of the Columbia community is eligible to become a member of this organization. In any given academic term, one is considered a member of this organization if she has attended at least one club activity and one meeting in the preceding or current term.
- The membership of this organization contains 5 Columbia GSAS students.
- In compliance with Columbia ‘s Nondiscrimination Statement, this organization shall not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, or sexual orientation.
Article III : Officers
- This organization will have five officers: President, Secretary, Social Chair, GSAC Representers.
- The President shall be the official representative of the group to any other organization and to Columbia. The President will preside over all meetings.
- The Secretary is responsible for determining when meetings are and publicizing this to the group.
- The Social Chair shall be responsible for the finances of the group.
- GSAC Representer shall be attending any GSAC meeting and is the ambassador of GALAIC.
- All officers of this organization must be distinct persons and Columbia students.
- Elections of officers shall occur once a year, by the end of Spring semester.
- Any member is elected if he or she wins a majority of the voting members.
- If more than two people are running and no one wins a majority, then the person with the fewest votes is dropped from the ballot and votes are recast.
- The term of office runs from September 2014’ until August 2015’.
Article IV : Meetings
- Meetings shall be held at least every two months.
- Meetings shall be presided over by the president, unless she is absent, and in that case the secretary shall preside.
- All decisions shall be made by a majority vote of all members present.
- Quorum for a meeting shall be 75% of the membership.
Article V : Amendments
- Amendments shall be presented by any member of the organization.
- Amendments shall be passed by a 75% voted of the members present.
- Quorum for amending this constitution shall be 100% of all members of the organization.
Article VI : GSAC Governance Clause
- GALAIC agrees to abide by the rules and regulations of the Association of Student Activities, and its executive board. This constitution, amendments to it, and the by-laws of this organization shall be subject to review by the GSAC Steering Committee to insure that they are in accordance with the aforementioned rules and regulations.